Dressed in traditional Scout uniforms embellished with shoulder braids and white gloves, the corps was a parade corps until 1950.
In 1949, the corps found an additional sponsor in the American Legion Thaddeus Kosciuszko Post 712 of Chicago's Little Warsaw neighborhood; rather than mispronounce the name, the corps members shortened it to K-712.
Kelly green blouse w/white wings & collar & green back White and black baldric w/mirror buckle White gauntlets w/black trim White gloves (horns) Black pants Black shoes & socks White "Aussie" hat w/black band & white plume The Cavaliers Drum and Bugle Corps (also known as "The Green Machine") is a World Class competitive junior drum and bugle corps.
Based in Rosemont, Illinois, the Cavaliers was one of the thirteen founding member corps of Drum Corps International and is a seven-time DCI World Champion.
The corps entered the world of field competition for the first time in 1950, adopting the name of Chicago Cavaliers and green as their main color.
At the Spectacle of Music in South Milwaukee, the Cavaliers were winners in Class B (while all the corps they considered to be "Big Corps" were in Class A).
They went on to win the Iowa State Fair contest and capped the season by finishing in seventh place at their first American Legion Junior National Championship in New York City, where they bested all midwestern corps and won the General Effect caption.
In 1963, the corps traveled to Canada for the Toronto Optimist's "International" competition, then took a train to Seattle to VFW Nationals, and had marching members from as far away from Chicago as Rockford and Milwaukee.
In 1964, the Cavaliers added mellophones and contrabasses to their horn line.